Friday 28 February 2014

How to make shop-style bubble tea

The day before yesterday my mum took me to Camden to satisfy a bubble tea craving. Well, really, it was mainly to see Camden but buying bubble tea was part of the attraction. I tried honeydew melon flavour for the first time and was pleasantly surprised to find how real it tasted. I was a bit worried at first because I know it's always risky when you buy fruit-flavour items (As opposed to real fruit items) so it was cool that it tasted real.

Then, yesterday after my art class I persuaded my dad to stop by a bubble tea shop so I could spend my money on another one. It was a shop I'd never been to before so I went with what I call, "safe" : a hot taro flavour. I chose passionfruit flavour popping boba - one of my favourites. There was some kind of offer, but you couldn't have popping boba if you went with it, so I didn't buy it.

That's the first time I've ever had bubble tea two days in a row and I don't regret it since I really like the drink. Unfortunately, if I want REAL, "AUTHENTIC" bubble tea I always have to wait till we go out -  'cos when I try to make it at home it seldom tastes like the real thing. Here's why:

1. They use powdered milk, which I don't have.
2. They use powdered flavouring, which I don't have because you can only buy it in bulk - and you have to spend like twelve pounds.
3. I don't have popping boba. I don't know where to buy it.

SO I HAVE FOUND OUT A WAY TO MAKE IT TASTE MORE LIKE THE REAL THING. Without those ingredients.

Here's what you can use instead: Strawberry Nesquik.

Here is the recipe:

Ingredients:
1. Normal tea/ Rooibos
2. Water
3. Milk
4. Nesquik powder (Strawberry flavour)
5. Cooked boba
6. Wide straws (Optional)
7. Sugar

Directions:
Brew the tea in a mug/ cup for a minute or so (Not as long as usual because it's not meant to be strong.) Also don't fill it as high as usual because it's meant to be quite milky; you need to leave space for the milk. Next, pour in some... milk, enough to fill it to the top. Stir in two heaped teaspoons of strawberry Nesquik powder, and one or two of sugar - depending on how you like it. Add the boba and you're done!

This is as close to the real thing as I have ever got; it doesn't taste exactly the same - obviously but it's pretty good. The Nesquik is a good substitute for the powdered flavouring that you can only buy in bulk, and it also contains powdered milk, one of the ingredients for, "real," bubble tea.


Related posts:

- Mooboo
- Making bubble tea







1 comment:

  1. Hi! I live the sound of your recipe. I am going to try, but I don't have rooibos tea. Would I use green tea or normal tea bags?

    ReplyDelete