Tuesday 27 August 2013

Camping in Essex

For three nights we went camping in Essex. I expected there to be a river or a couple of shops or something there - even a tiny forest. But there was nothing. Absolutely nothing. Just fields and roads with no shops. Fine, there were a couple of swings on the site. Really basic plastic swings designed for five year olds, and two plastic slides and this see-saw kind of swing that I could imagine finding really cool if I was half my age. But I am not half my age, and the thing nearly broke when I went on it. So I stuck with the swings. I spent quite long on them, because there wasn't much else to do. And the funny thing is, it was quite nice having nothing to do. I spent my time eating junk, drawing, eating non junk and reading. I tried not to read that much though, because I do that all the time at home and, what's the point in camping if you do the same things you do at home? So I played beach bat instead and went on really long walks, tromping all over the farmers' fields (Even though I tried to stay on the sides) and trying to get through the huge brambly bushes. My mum taught me some songs from a play she was in, too. The play is called, "Oh what a lovely war" and the songs are funny but quite sad at the same time. I think the play's set in the first world war. My sister was singing the songs all the time, 'cos they were stuck in her head, and I got a bit worried that she'd sing them in front of our German guests when we got back. 

It was quite relaxing being there, and sometimes I just lay down in my sleeping bag and rested for a while.

The night before we went home, my father took us to this Indian restaurant, with a SuPeR tasty butter chicken, and really colourful Pilau rice.

On the way home from the site we stopped at a vineyard to try the wine. The vineyard owner was a bit grumpy, but the wine was nice, especially the rose. My mum bought some wine and jam from there, so I'll remember the trip whenever I eat the jam. 

No comments:

Post a Comment