Sunday 25 August 2013

Little cafe in Marylebone

After a trip to The Wallace Collection, my mum and I were wandering around when she spotted this cute little cafe with tons of jam jars in the window. Okay, she'd actually spotted it before we went to The Wallace Collection, but this time we actually went in.

There were tons of sandwich options on some blackboards at the back.


I nearly chose egg mayo - but I saw there were baked potatoes


I ordered a baked potato with beans and cheese. My mum ordered a cucumber sandwich. We ordered drinks two.

While we sat and ate, I looked around. The place was quite old and lined with jam jars, jars of chutney and sauces.


Everything was beautifully packaged.
The shop was very old. Most of the customers were north of 35. There was a salt and pepper stand on our table with a leaflet inside, explaining how the cafe first started. That wasn't amazingly interesting - but the customers were. There were a few people whom I think the staff know. But one oldish guy was quite funny. Not really like he was making jokes, but just sort of what he was saying, and the way he talked. When he entered the shop, he said something like,
"Oh god, I need some sustenance. I've just been to the cinema. I've seen a terrible film. It was was awful. I need something to recover from it. Maybe a coffee. I wonder who vets the scripts these days. Gosh, it was terrible."

Then there was this other lady who came in and started talking to arbitrary people in the cafe about - well it ranged from how Scottish people behave at football matches to people, "With more money than sense" buying cruise liners. The thing about the football match was quite funny. Apparently she'd just seen these Scottish people preparing for a football match. She was talking about how it was so lovely, everybody singing together and being so cheerful and welcoming - how it had such a happy feel. She was half talking to this guy at the back of the cafe and half to everybody there, including us. Then the guy at the back started talking about how the feeling was always the exact opposite at the end of the football match - when the Scots lose, "As they always do"! The woman agreed with him.

The waiter in the cafe was really polite - another way in which the cafe was old fashioned - but in a totally good way. Whenever you asked for something, he said, "Of course you can."





Next time I go to The Wallace collection I'm gonna ask my mum to take me to the cafe again!








No comments:

Post a Comment