Tuesday 6 August 2013

Antique exhibition in Hyde park



A few weeks ago my dad took me to see an antiques exhibition in Hyde Park. The good part was that afterwards he took me to a gelato place and Subway, but the exhibition was quite nice too.


Nah, just joking! The exhibition was great! It was totally different from what I was expecting, but as good - maybe even better. What I was expecting was more of an outdoor, market-ish place where you could buy things. Well, you could buy things there too, but only if you were willing to pay £100 +, as the things were very valuable and sort of posh. When we first arrived I didn't realise that we were actually going into that building - I thought the building was just this super-fancy cafe that looked really pretty. So I was very surprised when it turned out to be our destination.


The people at the exhibition were all well dressed and - I know this sounds strange - but they were sort of calm and polite. Like, you would not imagine them to talk a lot, or go, "Yo, blood! Got some sick antiques here, innit?" One of them even said, "Evening" to us. Fine, I know lots of people say, "Good evening," and it isn't super strange, but the guy who said it didn't add a, "Hello" or a, "Good" in front of it. Just, "Evening." It was more that he was treating the as, "Hi."


Surprisingly there were some modern things at the exhibition, too: some sculptures and paintings that really didn't look like antiques, and it turned out, really were not. My dad explained to me that when people were invited to exhibit their stock (Not the Boullioun or OXO kind) there, they mainly did antiques ('cos that's the whole point) but they also showed some modern things, because it's an opportunity to do so, and because it's cool to just give a broader taste of what their company does.


My favourite thing in the exhibition was an apothecary's cabinet, because it had all these different drawers that folded out, a secret compartment at the back and it looked really neat.


I also like the jewellery in two stalls, and a modern sculpture.

No comments:

Post a Comment