Monday 5 August 2013

HESFES Homeschool camp

Around four days ago I arrived back in London from a homeschooling camp in Suffolk. Well, the camp wasn't homeschooling, but it was for home-schoolers. It was called HESFES.

HESFES, I thought, was much better than the first camp for homeschoolers that I went to, which was called WEHEC. WEHEC is in Wales, in a very scenic location, but it isn't as big as HESFES. Also, it doesn't have as many activities going on. So if I go to another HC camp, it will be HESFES again.

There were plenty of workshops at HESFES, including bee-keeping, public speaking, drumming, canine behaviour and viking bracelets. I didn't do all of them of course, as they overlapped, but two of my favourites were kundalini yoga and public speaking. Public speaking was great because you had to give a two minute long impromptue speech in front of the rest of the class. It was so scary (I did the shaking thing again!) But you feel great once you've done it. Also, I forced myself to do a prepared speech in front of the class. Hah! So I should be better at public speaking now. Only one way to find out... 

Anyway, I liked the kundalini yoga because you do lots of difficult excercises - tiring ones - and then you lie down at the end. And you feel so relaxed. Also, the teacher (She has this really long name. Something like, "Nam prakashka.") tells you what each excercise is good for in your body, which makes it more satisfying.

So if I had to recommend two workshops, those are what they'd be, public speaking and kundalini yoga.

Everyone in HESFES was so... well, like, nice. And I know that is probably the most boring word to use, but it's the simplest, and it means I don't have to type out a list of longer words. I really like the way (Most of) the people at the camp behaved. Well, the way that they... were. I think it's that the majority of them weren't trying to follow everyone else and they weren't all trying to be cool every second of their lives. As well as that, they weren't bossy or embarrassed to be friendly and nice. Oops - there's the word, "nice" again!

Okay, I definitely want to go to HESFES again. And I know every time I go camping I say I want to camp there again, but I think HESFES is one of the places I really, really want to go to again. So I hope I can make it next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment