Monday 12 August 2013

"Summer Camp" 2013 - and our disaster...

The day before yesterday I went to a movie making course run by Apple. Well, it was actually a three day long course called, "Summer Camp" (The central Londoner's version of a "Kid's only" wilderness holiday ;-)) and the day before yesterday was the last day of it. On the first day we got free shirts and lanyards and did movie planning. We also used Garageband to make movie music. We later went home and shot the movies. My sister and I decided to do two joint ones (Seeing as we live in the same house), one the sequel of the other.

The movies that my sister and I did were about two witches called, "Lily" and, "Jennifer." In the first one, Jennifer uses her powers to show off to people while her sister, Lily, uses them to help people and animals. Jen tries to persuade Lily to use her's properly. The movies were only about five minutes long (You were actually meant to make them about three minutes long.)


On the second day of summer camp, we edited the movie on, "imovie," which we learnt to use there, and took home a copy on a memory stick. At home we carried on editing (And adding our Garageband tracks) and shot the sequel movie. 


The next day we carried on editing both movies at home and stayed up after midnight to finish them off. We didn't manage to finish them, though. And we hadn't shot enough scenes. And we didn't have enough guns to shoot them with ;-) So we had to be very clever about things and use footage we had cut out before, and re-shape it. 


On the final day of summer camp (The next day) My sister, my dad and I got up at 7:30 to really finish the movie, and so that we could get there by 9:00. I did the last bits on the train there, and when I was finally done the computer didn't have enough battery to load the second movie onto the stick! We were so - like, really, really, so disappointed. And that wasn't the worst of the day - not nearly.


The whole point of the final day of summer camp was to show everybody your movies. And you won't believe how badly that went. My sister and I were in the last group to be called up to the front and we had to tell the audience (The other kids in Summer Camp and their parents) the plot of our movie into the microphone. That bit was fine - quite easy - but what happened next wasn't. The lady in charge of showing the movies, started playing my movie (Well, mine and my sister's movie) and only then did I remember I was holding the memory stick with the properly edited movie on it; everyone before me either had theirs already on the computer, or remembered to hand in the stick. So I had to interrupt the lady and hand her the memory stick. She started playing the actual, properly edited movie. But something was wrong, very wrong. There was no sound. So she reverted to the one she'd started playing before. And it was awful. SO boring. Totally. And, like 90% (Or more) of the editing hadn't been done in that version. There was no music, the bad bits weren't cut out, the special effects weren't there and I don't even think we had credits at the end. It belonged back on my camera, not a big screen in front of everybody. If I'd had to sit and watch that I think I'd be checking my watch. So I looked at the audience to see their reactions and most of them were twitching and not really watching properly. I don't blame them. What was worse was that we had to stand up there next to the movie. Actually, that was quite good because it meant our view of the screen was obscured. I couldn't believe we'd done all that work for nothing - and missed out on important sleep! Fine, it wasn't for nothing. But it was a real shame - and super disappointing. Not many people apart from the people managing the workshop clapped at the end. My dad later tried to convince us (My sister and I) that at least we knew that our movie was a hundred times better than what was shown - but the point was, no-one else knew. 


After our film was shown, the lady in charge of showing it said something stupid like, "Great work girls, and the film has a good moral; with great power comes great responsibility." The thing about great power and responsibility wasn't the stupid part - just the way she lied telling us, "Great work." And the way, she said it was so... monotone. Well, like she didn't even bother with trying to sound genuine. She didn't bother for the other people's either. Probably because she was stressed out at being, "On-stage" and in charge of playing the movies. She is not a bad person. I think she was very good on the days before. But I was still annoyed. 


I'd been so looking forward to showing my movie there - my actual movie. It was way better than some people's there, and no-one got to see it :-(. Fine, it wan't amazing but the special effects were fairly good and the plot wasn't too bad either. All that work - Not just mine; my dad spent valuable work time filming us and helped us upload stuff and my mum let us stay up late doing it and was really supportive - and no-one saw. Also, my favourite member of staff who is Italian wasn't there.


Afterwards, my dad went to John Lewis to return a pair of his shoes. My sister saw this advert for a cafe and (In her cheeky little sister way) asked our dad if we could go. I was surprised that he said yes so nicely (Especially since I thought the place was quite expensive) but I think it was mainly because he wanted to cheer us up. It worked. I had had a lovely egg mayo sandwich and some tea. Afterwards we had a look in a shop called, "Muji" which I really like.


Now, it seems hard to believe I was so upset about the movie. I can still remember how I felt, but it's just a movie. Other people get much worse things happening to them, and I'm writing the longest blog post on the planet and using up my mum's computer battery complaining about a movie. I think I must have repeated a lot of things I've already written, because I'm not half as upset now. In fact, I'm not upset at all. So it seems strange that I've been writing for, like, ages when I don't feel that strongly about it any more.


We have guests coming soon - more Frenchies - so I better get off the computer now.


Au revoir!


Jamilondon

No comments:

Post a Comment