Friday 12 July 2013

Pastaaaaaa!

As I have written before, our family hosts a lot of couch-surfers. Couchsurfing isn't just about hosting and being hosted (I don't know whether I've said this before!) but you can also meet up with people (Not to stay with them or host them), and do, "Kitchen-surfing." "Kitchen-surfing" is where you meet up with people in someone's kitchen to cook together.

ANYWAY!! 

We hosted this, "Kitchen-surfing" event in our house, and a guy came over to teach us to make fresh pasta. Unfortunately, I missed the first part because I had a drumming workshop to attend, but luckily I was there for the fun bit - kneading and cutting the pasta.

First of all, we had to roll the dough in this special way - it wasn't difficult, but you still had to follow a guideline.

Next, the guy who was teaching us rolled the dough through a machine. There were different thicknesses you could decide on. He then folded the dough over and put it through the machine again. He did those two steps a few times, and then put the dough through a setting that cuts it into tagliatelle strips.

After that, he boiled the pasta. It only took about a minute and thirty seconds - maybe just a minute - each for the two batches of pasta. 

Finally, we sat down to eat. I thought the pasta would taste more like dough than pasta, but it didn't - at all. It just tasted way nicer than commercial dry one; it was softer and chewier. We ate it with roast vegetables, mushroom and yoghurt sauce, salt, pepper, cheese and olive oil.

I can't describe how... yummy... it was. Now, that was a boring word. So is, "delicious" (I think) - and, "Amazing," can be a bit boring because I always use it. Tasty? More-ish?... Cool?? So I'm just going to say, "I'll definitely be making this dish again."

Only three people (Not counting my family) other than the main cook/ teacher/ head chef came (There was another person but she left early). That doesn't seem like much - in fact, it isn't much - , but it meant I got to properly talk to each of the people, something you don't get to do when lots of people come.

Like the chocolate milkshake, I wrote this post ages ago. But seriously, like, a good few months ago. But I didn't post it because I couldn't find the photos I was going to attach, which would have made this post sooo much better. Uugh. So annoying!!
 



No comments:

Post a Comment