Sunday 21 April 2013

Ta koh

One day a few moths ago my mum came home from town and presented me with a dessert. It was small, a bit smaller than the size of my palm, and round - or maybe it was a bit squarish. It was wrapped in a strip of banana leaf, with two layers; the top, a white layer, salty and coconutty. The bottom was light green and jelly-ish with pieces of water chestnut. The dessert was so delicious that I only had half at first, and put the other half in the fridge for later.

Yesterday, we bought some more. I had one then, and I've just finished another one. I've also just realised that the dessert is called Ta ko. I think Ko might be like the Malay word, "Kuih," which means, "Sweetmeat." The Ta ko I've just had wasn't like the previous ones, because it had sweetcorn and rice instead of water chestnut. It was nice, interesting, but not as nice as the other ones.

Because it had pandan flavour, the ta koh reminded me a bit of a Malaysian dessert that I like making, called, "kuih chara" except that kuih chara is nicer.

No comments:

Post a Comment