Monday 15 April 2013

I home-school - why don't people get it? Part 3

Okay, so there was this woman (I'll call her woman number 1 because I don't like saying people's names on my blog) who introduced me to this other woman (Woman number two - haha sounds a bit like she needs the toilet.) So anyway, as she was introducing me, she just haaaaaad to tell woman no. 2 that I was home-schooled - and she said it just after she said my name, like it was part of my name, like it was essential for woman no. 2 to know. Then, you know what woman number two said? She said, "Ah, that's interesting - is it legal?" You know, she actually seemed like a clever person, not the kind of person who would ask that. Usually it's just kids and not-so-intelligent adults who ask whether it's legal, but this woman seemed above asking it, so I was really surprised when she did. I answered,
"Yeah" with a rising internation to show that of course it was legal. Unfortunately, the internation was not rising enough, so I don't think I got my point (Which was, "Duh") across well enough. 

Anyway, you won't believe what she said next: "Ooh, I hope she's qualified." So, you know what I did? I totally forgot to give a snappy answer, which I'd planned to do if people were rude or stupid about home-schooling. I replied,
"No, you you don't have to be qualified to teach your children at home." Thankfully, I didn't say it sweetly with a smile, but not so thankfully, I didn't snap at her.

Then she went on to ask the usual annoying questions e.g. "What about uni?", "What about examinations?" etc.

Next time I shall try harder to be snappy.

Here are links to the other parts of this:
Part 1

No comments:

Post a Comment