Monday 5 May 2014

Professions I've considered

When I was five, naturally, I wanted to be a princess. I don't think I ever really thought about it seriously, but it was something I dreamed about. As I grew older the fantasy sort of faded, and when I was about six or seven I wanted to be an air hostess. It just seemed so glamorous and exciting - wearing make-up and high heels and wearing the outfit with the bun and hat, I loved airplanes and it seemed all professional. But then I became worried about the plane crashing or blowing up. Which was really stupid because, yes there was a chance it would blow up, but there was also a chance that the tube station would blow up, and I had no problem with using the underground. But I was six, so it's kind of justified. Oh yeah, and another thing I considered aspiring to was becoming a train driver or pilot, but I rejected both ideas for the same reason.

Eventually I decided I didn't know what I wanted to be when I grew up, and didn't really bother thinking about it.  I would get really annoyed when adults asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up, because it was like the most boring question ever. Seriously. I mean, did they even care what I wanted to be?

Then, like five years later I realised I wanted to become an author.

Before, I'd liked writing, and I mean really liked, but I didn't want to become an author. Partly because it sounded boring and partly because it seemed stupid to decide to want to do something now, especially since I had so many hobbies, including drumming. But then, I got really into writing, probably because I discovered creative writing, which was about not fussing over grammar, and being... Creative.

At the same time, I also wanted to become a drummer/ drum teacher. Drum kit or djembe, I wasn't suRe which. Possibly both. But now I've decided drum kit player.

At some point I also wanted to run sushi making workshops.

Right now I want to be an author and a drum kit player.

2 comments:

  1. Excellent! I thoroughly approve (although you dont need my approval and you know that). I wanted to be a writer when I was very young, and then a nurse and then a doctor and then a lawyer ... but writing is my first love as much as it is my job in this life :-)

    ReplyDelete