Tuesday 5 November 2013

"Random" creative writing - and how to do it

I've decided to just do some creative writing right now. I think I might have mentioned the writing machine before. If not, here's the basic concept: You roll a die (Not a dice :-] ) and if it says three, pick three words (That you've written and cut out already. You can write out any random words to put in the box) from a box. If it says four, pick four etc. Then, time yourself five minutes to write a short poem/ story/ rap/ song/ mix of a couple of things, with those words. Obviously, you you mostly use your own words, and try to use as many of the ones you picked as you can. Otherwise, your poem or story will be really short. But if you want to try to write with just the words you picked out, then I guess you can try. P.S. you can add two extra minutes if you need them.
P.P.S this is REALLY IMPORTANT BUT I FORGOT TO SAY IT: DON'T WORRY ABOUT PUNCTUATION+SPELLING+GRAMMAR+HANDWRITING. YOU CAN EDIT THAT LATER IF YOU WANT. THIS WRITING IS FOR FUN.

That was actually quite a long explanation, but anyway, I've decided to do some, "Writing machine" creative writing on this blog for fun. I will then edit/ radically change :-) what I've come up with. If you want, you can use these words and post your writing in the comments section.

Words: Capture, through, juice, his, cold, dark, rain.

Okay, five mins. 1...2...3... go!

"Juice, cold and dark like grape rain hits the roof, tap-tap-tapping away like tomorrow there will be no more water. I worry it will come through and stain the sofa and the walls, and that it might even flood the house, but then I remember that it is not grape juice, but rain. I aslso remember that the roof is hard, and made of plastic, so of course the rain won't flood the house. it's loud, though. And it's hard to concentrat on anything else. He made rain, I think. The rain Is His. Which sounds like it's a passage from the bible, but really, I'm just trying to read a book, but it's getting jumbled up in my thoughts and the rain is distracting me, it's distracting me, and I cnt really think properly, properly, som I'm just listening to the thud thud thud of the rain (God, it's pouring!) and making it go round and round in my head, and jumbling up everything that it says in the book im holding because I'm so distracted, distracted, distracted... that I can't aread."

Okay, that was the story! It needs some serious editing. But when you write you don't have to edit it because editing is boring, and your story can be cool like it is (And you'll understand it anyway.) I don't usually edit, but I feel like it now (I don't know why!)

I FORGOT TO SAY THAT THE "STORY" I WROTE IS NOT ABOUT ME BUT ABOUT A MADE UP CHARACTER.

Now I am going to edit the story. With the editing, you can change as much as you like. There are no rules except that you have to keep the words that you picked out the box. You can use them in different ways though. Here's the edited version:

"Rain, cold and dark like grape juice hits the roof, tap-tap-tapping away like tomorrow there will be no more water left to rain. I worry it will come through and stain the sofa a deep maroon, seep in and spread. And I worry it will stain the walls, and that it might even flood the house, but then I remember that it is not grape juice, but rain. It's only dark because it's night, I tell myself. And it isn't even dark maroon, it's black. I also remember that the roof is hard, and made of plastic, so of course the rain won't flood the house. It's loud, though. And it's hard to concentrate on anything else. "He made rain," I think. "The rain is His." It sounds sounds like it's a passage from the bible, but really, I'm just trying to read a book, but it's getting jumbled up in my thoughts and the rain is distracting me, it's distracting me, and I can't really think properly, properly, so I'm just listening to the thud thud thud of the rain (God, it's pouring!) and making it go round and round in my head, and jumbling up everything that the book I'm holding says because I'm so distracted, distracted, distracted... Grape juice pours on."

So, that was the edited version. I like the las sentence being long (And, yes, I know, grammatically incorrect) because it shows the thoughts rushing around. The story's not amazing, but it was fun doing it, and I hope that you will do some, "Writing machine" writing too. If you do, why not post in the comments section? I would really like to read your writing! I WON'T JUDGE. Remember to post the words you picked out too. Also, how about doing one with the same words I used? Words: Capture, through, juice, his, cold, dark, rain. 


No comments:

Post a Comment