Sunday 16 December 2012

Making Cornish Pasties

I thought it would be nice to make a new recipe, so I picked up a cookery book that said it had simple recipes in it. One of the first pages that I saw that had a recipe and not just ingredients on it, had mostly different pies. The one that caught my attention was "Cornish pasties". When I saw the title, the first thing I thought was "Difficult", but I read on. It turned out, you don't actually have to make a stew with lots of ingredients and then put them  into home-made pastry dough; you can just use meat, potatoes, onions, salt and pepper and ready made pastry. I decided I had to make the Cornish pasties, so my father said he'd get some ingredients on his way from picking my mother up from East Finchley. While he was gone, I cut some onion up finely (We had that ingredient already) and did the potatoes (We had those already too. Surprise surprise!). For the potatoes, I found out you have to cut them in to small flakes (This is called "Shripping"), so I used a peeler instead of a knife.

My dad came back with the ingredients we didn't have (Pastry and meat) and I cut those up and shaped the pasties. Shaping isn't at all hard. One just rolls out the pastry, uses a bowl as a template to cut around, puts the filling in the middle of a pastry circle and pinches it closed.

When the pasties finally came out the oven (After about forty-five minutes) I tucked in hungrily. I thought they could do with a little more water to moisten them out, but otherwise, I really enjoyed them.

No comments:

Post a Comment