Friday 16 November 2012

"Gangnam Style" parodies

Since the "Gangnam Style" video came out on youtube, I've watched it about twenty times, but recently I've started watching the parodies of it. As my mother is a member of couchsurfing, she gets all the circulars, and a few days ago someone sent one round with "Gangnam Style" parodies. One of them is called "London Style" and it's set in London, so the guy goes on the underground and does some stupid stuff next to a cab, and sees lots of things that London is famous for.

 My favourite parody is "Mitt Romney Style". I think you can guess who that's about. The video has two swearwords but it's still really funny. "Obama Style" is quite fun, but it isn't as good because it's not as professionally done. I think for "Mitt Romney Style" they used quite a few computer effects, but for the one with Obama, not as many.


Another good version has three people sitting on a sofa. One has a guitar and the other two are singing the song really slowly and calmly, and sort of changing the tune.


Gangnam Style, like "Friday" and "Charlie Bit My Finger" is one of those really popular youtube videos that "everyone" has watched. I think it got so many views because the people who made it e-mailed it to all the people in their address book, and the people who received it did the same. I'm guessing that's how most videos go viral. People also tend to enjoy watching funny videos, so that's probably one of the attractions. Of course, there's also word of mouth, but that doesn't spread things as quickly as electronic gadgets do. Still, it must have been that too because we've shown Gangnam Style to most of the people we've seen recently, and I'm sure a few of them have told others about it.




                              Part of the original Gangnam Style dance

No comments:

Post a Comment