Tuesday 19 June 2012

Everyone's Climbing Tree drumming workshop

Last Friday I went to a drumming workshop at Everyone's climbing tree. I already do drums, but I do the the drumkit kind, so I thought it would be quite fun to try out African drums, which is what the Everyone's climbing tree drumming is all about. 

The drum instructor was really nice, and quite relaxed, so it didn't feel like a school lesson. At the beginning of the workshop, I found it hard because I couldn't see the instructor, but I went to the front later on, and found it much easier. We played a few different rhythms. Sometimes I felt really lost, but I always managed to pick up the rhythm again.

I loved doing the drumming. I'd say it was easily one of my favourite things that I did last week. When we went drumming, we took a two people we knew with us. They said that they liked the drumming too and that they wanted to go again.

The drums we used were quite big, but not so big that it was hard to use them. We had to hold them at a slight angle away from us so that we wouldn't hurt our wrists, or something like that. There were two ways to sound the drum. One was hitting the side, and one was hitting the middle. They made different sounds, and there are hundreds of ways to combine them for different rhythms.

My hands hurt a little while I was playing the drum, but I'd still go again to the workshop because I like music, and enjoyed the chilled atmosphere created by Alex, who ran the drumming.

No comments:

Post a Comment