Friday 18 May 2012

Measurements

We have this old pudding recipe book that's been lying around for ages. Today I decided to make a bread pudding from it. The difficult thing was, I didn't understand the measurements. Most of the ingredients were in oz. I thought that oz meant dozens, but I wasn't sure. I asked my mum what oz stood for. She said Australia, so I told her it was a measurement. She changed her answer to ounces. I then asked my mum what pt meant. I thought it might have stood for punnet, but then it would be a bit hard to have a punnet with milk in it, as the milk would probably drain out through the holes. Again, I asked my mum for help. She told me it stood for pint. My new problem was converting, so I asked Google for some help. Google said that there were 28 grams in an ounce, so I worked the rest out on paper, and used the internet to check my answers. I've started making the pudding now. So far, it's going well.

My mum told me that in some old Malay recipe books, the measurements will say something like, "Use a piece of ginger the size of your thumb."
My dad told me that in America, people use cups to measure items in recipes.
I think Malaysia and America have the best measurements.

No comments:

Post a Comment