Thursday 24 November 2011

The Alchemist and the Angel by Joanne Owen


The Alchemist and the Angel is a fabulous story about an alchemist’s apprentice and his journey. The death of his uncle takes him to Prague, where he enters into a world of traitors, disease and magic. 




The book was well-written and I love books with twists, so in that respect it was great for me. 

The thing that spoilt the book for me were the mini-stories within the main one. Some had morals, others foreshadowed the main story and the themes were the same. Although they were interesting at first, they didn’t add much and two of them were very similar. They were also morbid.
The characters were convincing, especially Jan and Greta. Zuzana was however too perfect for my liking. The author did a lot of research on magic, on the setting and folklore of the time.  The pace was not consistent and although it was not too fast, I felt that the end was a little bit rushed. 

Suitable for 11+, boys and girls.
I would rate it 8/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment