Monday 28 January 2013

Drawing Fashion

This month I've been getting really into drawing fashion in my big notepad. I used to just draw stuff from magazines and change the designs around a bit, and I'd also draw some of my own, and some from the internet as well. Now I'm drawing from life, too, which is way more fun and interesting because I can see the dark and light areas more clearly. Also, the things I've done from life look more realistic than the others. Maybe it's because these are more recent drawings, so I'm more experienced, or maybe it's because it's easier or funner. Whatever it is, I don't really mind, but it's nice to know that I like my drawings rather than getting annoyed over every small detail that doesn't look right, like I usually do.

My mother took me to the V&A museum twice in a week to draw the costumes there. The first time, we saw one of the exhibitions that's always up, and I drew a few outfits from the Victorian times. A lady came up to me and said that was I was drawing was beautiful (She'd seen it from the side because she was standing near me), and a few people paused before they walked past because they didn't want to block the view of what I was drawing, which made me very pleased. Nobody (To my knowledge) looked over my shoulder, and that made me want to jump up, punch the air, and say "YES". I just can't stand it when people look over my shoulder while I'm doing art, especially when they don't ask. Why do they do it? Yeah, I know they want to see what I'm drawing, and it can be quite entertaining to watch someone drawing, but still, why don't they realise that it's really hard to concentrate with someone staring over your shoulder? Not only are they being nosey, they are making my picture worse because I'm getting stressed out.

On that trip to the museum, we bought some tickets to see Hollywood costumes. Unfortunately, a few days later my mother's bag got stolen, so because the tickets were in her wallet, they got stolen as well. She had to write an e-mail to the museum staff asking for replacement tickets , and we got a reply saying they could, but drawing there and photography wasn't allowed (My mum had told them that I wanted to draw there). I was like "How unfair is that?" but my mum explained it was because it was the last week of the exhibition and it would be super crowded, so they didn't want to risk having people holding everyone up. She did say, though, that I could take a little sketch book and do some quick, two minute sketches. My sketches turned out to take more than two minutes, and I wasn't as happy with them as the others, but they weren't bad. Annoyingly, one of the museum guards looked over my shoulder. He did say what I was drawing was "Very good" but he said it like a school teacher, rather than from the heart like that lady before. Whatever. It doesn't really matter that much. I should just be pleased he said it was very good, right?

On that museum I saw a costume from "Avatar" and ones worn by the people who acted "Superman", "Cat woman" and "Bat man". Also, I saw one worn by the person who acted the baddy in "One-hundred and one Dalmations" (I just can't seem to spell her name) and Harry Potter's too. There were way more, but I can't think of anymore except for one from "Mamma Mia!" worn by Meryl Streep, one from "Sherlock Holmes" and one from "Pirates Of The Caribbean". There were some interviews and lots of silent snippets from movies playing at the exhibition, but it was hard to take everything in when there were so many people.

Ok, enough about the exhibition.

When I got home, I looked up Victorian clothing on the internet because I liked the Victorian dresses at the V&A, and did one in charcoal. My dad liked it because it was bold, but I got annoyed because the lines I didn't want were really hard to erase.

We went to Cass Art recently and there were these lovely patterned Deco-patch papers that I wanted to buy for designing dresses, but they were too expensive, so when we got home I used wrapping paper to design a sort of collage dress. It was a bit inspired by one of Lauren Child's books, "The Princess And The Pea". Then I designed a kind of suit that was a little bit like the one I saw at the exhibition that Meryl Streep wore.

Now I only have about four more pages left in my big notepad. I'll need another one soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment