Sunday 21 October 2012

Voluntary work in a charity shop (1)

Last Monday I did some voluntary work in a charity shop for animal aid and advice.

The first thing I had to do was to check all of the clothes rails for empty hangers. When some were found, I had to put them in a pile on a table, and then hand the on a designated part of one of the rails. 

After that, the lady who works at the charity shop told me to clean and rearrange the jewellery in the window display. This took longer than I expected because I had to make sure everything looked nice from the outside as well as the inside, and that wasn't so easy. The earrings went on a shelf of their own at first, but it was really crowded and messy, so I put them on two separate shelves. There was lots of deciding to do.

On the next window display, I didn't clean it, but I just changed a few things around so that they matched and looked nicer.

Next, there was a large heap of clothes that needed to be put on hangers. The trousers were folded and put in a pile on the floor by the table. The small things like hats and underwear were put on the counter, and scarves hanging from a wire basket. I learnt a new way to put clothes on hangers, which is way simpler than the one I'm used to.

The actual shop in quite small, but there are so many things in it, way more than it looks like it has at first glance. Also, it sells some really nice things like good book, and a ton of clothes.

The charity shop mostly helps cats, but sometimes other animals. They re-home cats and people can call in for advice on looking after their pets (Mostly cats).

I'm doing more work there tomorrow morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment