Friday 2 March 2012

Bruce Castle Museum talk

Yesterday, while my sister was at cubs, me and my parents went to Alexandra Park Library. As we were leaving, I saw a mini poster pinned to the wall. It had a picture of a picture of an enbalmed mermaid on it and I could remember having seen that picture before somewhere, so I showed the poster to my mum. I hadn't bothered to look at the writing, but she did. My mum said there was a talk at the Bruce Castle Museum and it was happening on that very evening. We weren't sure whether to go or not. In the end we decided to so my dad drove us there and we arrived fifteen minutes late. There were three guys doing the talk and they took turns to say things. The talk was about  their investigation to find out how mermaid and merman relics were made. They are thought to have been made by fisherman in Japan, but for a long time people have not known how exactly they were created. People used to believe that they were made using the head of a monkey and the body of a fish, which is why they are sometimes known as "Monkey fish". The people explaining how the relics were made said that they did an X-ray of the Horniman merman and then some CT scans and 3D prints of it and found out that it wasn't the body of a fish stuck to the head of a monkey; the structure, or skeleton was made out of wire and wood, which was covered in animal glue and fabric. The head was made out of rope wrapped around a stick, and the teeth were real fish teeth. One arm was made out of papier mache, and the other out of wood. All that was covered in clay, and half of it was stuck into the body of the fish. The front part was built up with more papier mache.



No comments:

Post a Comment